In Hot weather home security can often be overlooked due to the need to keep cool.
Here are some top Hot weather home security tips from the Thames Valley Police about how to help protect your home against burglary in warm weather:
- Fit window opening restrictors to all easily accessible windows – this will allow ventilation while restricting access.
- Close and lock all windows and doors, even if just out in the garden.
- Remove window and door keys from the locks, store out of reach and away from your letterbox.
- Keep valuables out of sight, along with any visible signs including charging cables.
- Hide the keys to your vehicle, and if you have a keyless entry, store the fob in a RFID pouch to block the signal.
Did you know:
- Burglars tend to avoid homes with security systems.
- Most burglaries take place between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- The majority of break-ins are committed by burglars who live nearby.
- Most criminals can burglarize a home in less than ten minutes.
- Almost 30% of burglars enter a home through an unlocked door or window.
- An astonishing 34% of burglars enter through the front door.
- Burglars usually go to the master bedroom first.
- Someone is home during nearly three out of every ten burglaries.